This scholarship carefully selects candidates who have the potential to excel as leaders with ambassadorial potential. This scholarship award is based on the fair and transparent selection of all students.
Selection criteria and evaluation
- Based on academic merit.
- Based on leadership potential.
- Based on the ambassadorial potential.
Details for the criteria used for selection can be found at http://www.marshallscholars.org/criteria.
Objectives of the Marshall scholarship
- This scholarship will help to enable intellectually distinguished young Americans who are the future leaders, to study in the U.K
- This program will help scholars to gain an understanding of contemporary Britain, with a vast knowledge for better understanding.
- It will also motivate scholars to act boldly as ambassadors of the United States of America to the United Kingdom throughout their lives and also strengthen their British American understanding.
- To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in social science, humanities, science and technology, and also Britain’s creative arts for academic excellence.
Considering the objectives of the Marshall scholarship program, candidates are advised to be aware of the rules and regulations of this program and also be aware that the selection committees are seeking candidates who can excel as leaders and contributors to a new improved US-UK. Up to fifty marshal scholarships will be awarded in 2022. These scholarships are attainable at any British university and for study in any discipline at the graduate level.
To be eligible for the 2022 Marshall scholarship:
- Candidates must be a citizen of the U.S.
- Candidates must have their first undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the united states of America ( before taking up their scholarship in September 2022).
- Applicants must not study for, or hold a degree or any degree equivalent qualifications from a British university, GCSE or A levels taken at any school in the U.K.
- Candidates must have graduated from their first undergraduate college or university after April 2019
- Candidates must have a grade point average, not less than 3.7 on their undergraduate degree at the time of applying for the scholarship program. Marshall scholarship does not accept rounded GPAs.
Marshall scholarship course selection
The following courses are not funded in the one-year scholarship program.
- MSc Law and finance ( university of oxford only).
- MPP (public policy) (university of oxford only).
- MSc International Health and Tropical Medicine (the University of Oxford only).
- MSc global health science and epidemiology ( university of oxford only).
- MSc/MFE Financial Economics (any university).
- PG diplomas/certificates in any subject (any university)
- MBA (any university).
- Distance learning degree.
- Degrees that require extended periods away from the university or the U.K including joint degrees with universities not in the U.K.
- Supervised research which doesn’t lead to a degree qualification.
- Finally, courses start in January.
Note candidates who by any means list any of the disqualified courses not funded by the marshall commission on their application will not be invited for the interview. Also, note that the one-year Marshall scholarship cannot be extended beyond the12 months tenure.
Rules for candidates for one-year Marshall scholarship
- Applicants for the one-year scholarship who plan to attend graduate school in the U.S following their year in the U.K should show that they have already applied or that they intend to apply in the next couple of months for one year of entry in other to take up the Marshall scholarship program.
- Applicants are only allowed for either the one year or two-year scholarship program, any candidate found applying for both programs will be automatically disqualified.
- One year candidates for the marshall scholarship must be registered for degrees that are 12months in duration that is courses that run for 10 months or less. Kindly check the university websites carefully for the duration of the degrees in months.
- There are no exceptions to these rules and regulations listed above.
Rules and Regulations for two-year Marshall scholarships.
- A two-year marshall scholarship is only tenable for two academic year’s, therefore it is a condition that the award for marshall scholars must proceed to a degree that can be completed within the two years tenure.
- Candidates who apply for the two-year marshall scholarship are expected to study in the U.K during this period. failure to do so, then they should consider applying for the one-year marshall scholarship.
- The Marshall commission has made it possible for scholars to undertake two one year masters degrees. That’s if the proposed degree is a one year program, then it will be necessary for the applicant to consider what course of study might be undertaken in the second year.
- For doctorate degrees only, Marshall scholarship may be extended by the commission, though not beyond the third academic year.
- For those pursuing a doctorate at the University of Oxford, up to three third-year extensions may be granted to them by the University of Oxford.
- For those pursuing a doctorate at the University of Cambridge, up to two third-year extensions may be granted to them by the University of Cambridge.
- Also, scholars are required to enrol at a British university for the full tie years of their award as full-time students proceeding to a higher degree.
- Academic study proposals involving lengthy periods away from the university or outside the United Kingdom will not be allowed.
Code of conducts for scholars
- As a Marshall scholar, each holder is an ambassador for the Marshall commission and the United States of America and their actions and remarks will have an impact on the reputation of the Marshall Commission and the U.S.
- Scholars are advised to adhere to a high standard of conduct and behaviour, to also show respect to others and their surroundings at all times.
- The Marshall commission also aims at enabling the free exchange of ideas during all its activities in other to achieve the maximum potential impact for all candidates.
- Scholars are always reminded to be respectful to others recognising the backgrounds amongst each other, in terms of race, gender, religion and cultural values.
- The Marshall commission is committed to proactively promoting and safeguarding the welfare of Marshall scholars.
- Also, the Marshall commission requires the commissioners, secretariat staff and scholars to fulfil their roles in an orderly manner. therefore any behaviour that does not adhere to the above values and expectations will be addressed by the Marshall Commission.
- candidates can only apply in one region. That us either their permanent home address or that which they are studying.
- Each candidate must submit their application on the online form.
- The online application which is submitted by the applicant must be authorised by a designated member of staff at the applicant undergraduate educational institution.
- No institution may submit an overall number of more than 24 applicants, that is the overall number each institution can endorse will be a maximum of 24.
- Candidates must submit a pdf of their academic transcript online. Photocopies of the transcripts are also acceptable.
- If a candidate is invited for an interview, then the candidate will be required to courier one hard copy of the transcript to the regional centre.
- Candidates invited for interview must bring with them evidence of U.S citizenship and date of birth ( example passport)
Note should a scholar be dismissed from his/ her university, the scholarship will be terminated immediately. Also, the commission does not offer any additional allowance for scholars but has the discretion to the fares of the families of the married scholar and to meet the cost of shipping a reasonable amount of unaccompanied baggage across the Atlantic.